All children are expected to wear school uniform when attending The Bliss Charity School or when participating in a school-organised event outside normal curriculum hours (unless directed otherwise by school staff). The uniform promotes a shared identity for our school. It aims to engender a sense of community and belonging for all of our pupils and it encourages them to be proud of attending and representing The Bliss Charity School.
Wearing school uniform …
- Is consistent with the high expectations of secondary education and future employment;
- Contributes to the establishment and maintenance of a purposeful learning environment;
- Signals that it is ‘time to learn’ and to behave according to the school rules;
- Is practical and smart;
- Identifies the children with the school;
- Reduces peer-pressure/teasing over conforming to the latest trends and fashions whilst at school;
- Makes children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance;
- Prevents conflicts for parents/carers regarding what to wear for school;
- Is regarded as suitable wear for school and is considered as good value for money by parents and carers;
- Is designed with health and safety considerations in mind;
- Enhances the reputation of the school and creates a good impression.
Non-Permitted clothing and accessories
The following items are not permitted as part of the school uniform:
- Tracksuits, sweatshirts and jogging bottoms – except for PE lessons (see section 4, above).
- Trainers – except for PE lessons and, possibly, for break/lunch times. Pupils should arrive/depart in shoes. Black trainers are not permitted as part of the classroom uniform.
- Team-wear (e.g. a football strip or a rugby shirt) is not acceptable for PE lessons. However, pupils may choose team-wear for extra-curricular sports clubs.
- No flip-flops.
- Jewellery (except watches and stud earrings) – this does not include jewellery worn for established religious/cultural reasons.
- Make-up – including nail varnish.
- Elaborate hair accessories.
- Fake tattoos/transfers.